How to Make a Recycled Glass Tray
Turn an old storm window and a handful of red sand into a stylish glass tray.
E-mail This Page to Your Friendsx
A link to %this page% was e-mailed
Materials and Tools:
recycled glass (old storm window or other glass choice)
vinegar and water in spray bottle
wire mesh strainer (kitchen variety)
terra cotta dish
small craft saw
plastic cup or other container
1. Remove the glass from an old frame (storm window) with a screwdriver.
2. Cut two 6" x 14" recycled glass rectangles or any desired size with glasscutters and running pliers.
3. Wash both recycled glass rectangles with vinegar and water and a microfiber cloth.
4. Sift the red sand through a kitchen strainer into a terra cotta dish.
5. Measure the ceramic fiberboard 6 1/2" x 14 1/2" for the outer dimensions and 5" x 13" for the inside rectangle.
6. Cut the fiberboard into the measured shape and size with a craft saw.
7. Place the cut fiberboard and terra cotta dish with the red sand (dirt) into the kiln. Select the firing schedule recommended by the fiberboard manufacturer. Fire and let cool. Remove fired sand and fiberboard mold from kiln.
8. Mix 1 teaspoon white glue with 3 tablespoons of water into a plastic cup.
9. Draw a freehand design with a paintbrush and the white glue mix on one rectangle of glass.
10. Sprinkle red sand from the terra cotta dish on the wet glue mixture. Shake off excess sand.
11. Place the second rectangle of glass on top of the sand design.
12. Place both glass pieces in the kiln and select appropriate full-fuse schedule for the glass and kiln. Let cool. Remove the flat-fused glass rectangle from the kiln when temperature is less than 100 degrees F.
13. Apply kiln wash to the fiberboard form. Center the fused glass rectangle on form. Place the rectangle fiberboard form in the kiln.
14. Select the appropriate slumping firing schedule for the glass and kiln.
15. Remove the recycled glass red sand tray from the kiln when the temperature is less than 100 degrees F.
Make a glass candle bowl as a beautiful, stylish centerpiece with these simple steps.