How to Make a Purse-Shaped Clay Teapot
Use porcelain clay to sculpt a stylish teapot.
E-mail This Page to Your Friendsx
A link to %this page% was e-mailed
Materials and Tools:
small loop tool
bowl of water
1. Roll out porcelain clay until it's about 1/8-inch thick. Let it sit flat on a table or board until it's leather-hard.
2. Cut out a purse pattern freehand, starting with the single bottom and side piece that wraps up to the top.
4. Score the edges of the pieces with a pin tool, and use slip to stick the front and back purse pieces together. Press a small coil of porcelain into the edges of the interior of the purse pot to add strength to the seams.
5. Squirt the teapot with water and cover it with plastic. Let it sit overnight so the moisture of the pot can even out over the whole piece.
7. Pull a handle to fit the style of the pot. Leave the pieces out to dry leather-hard.
8. Smooth the surface of the teapot, and straighten any seams with a metal rib.
9. Carve seam lines and stitch-work details with a small loop tool.
11. Attach porcelain balls to the lid to create the appearance of a purse clasp.
12. Once the spout and handle are firm, attach them to the teapot.
13. Carve a plaid design with a small loop tool onto the surface of the teapot. Allow the teapot to dry.
14. Fire the teapot in the kiln, following the clay manufacturer's instructions.
15. Glaze the teapot. Add layers of glaze to the plaid design and stitching to make them stand out. Fire the teapot in the kiln again.
Bring back grade school memories with this fun clay turtle pencil topper.
Use painter's tape and glazes of various colors to create a design for a decorative sculpted bowl.
Create this shimmering dragonfly pendant using precious metal clay.