How to Make a Photo Pendant Necklace
Transform a family photo into a wearable photo pendant on a sterling silver chain.
E-mail This Page to Your Friendsx
A link to %this page% was e-mailed
Materials and Tools:
foil soldering tape
cleaner for flux and patina
silver jump ring
silver jewelry wire
lead free solder
sterling silver chain
1. Scan two pictures (one picture for each side of the pendant) into the computer. Size them to 1-1/2" x 1" and print them on paper. Print out names or words of inspiration.
2. Cut out the pictures and words. Glue the words onto the pictures using a glue stick. Glue the pictures back to back.
3. Cut a microscope slide in half using a glass cutter. Clean the pieces with glass cleaner.
4. Sandwich the image between the two pieces of glass.
5. Wrap the edges of the glass with foil soldering tape. Brush liquid flux over the foil tape.
6. Adhere solder over the foil-taped edges with a soldering iron.
7. Repeat the soldering process on the reverse side of the pendant. Clean with flux remover and a soft cloth.
8. Clamp the piece and apply flux to the top edge. Hold the jump ring with needle-nose pliers and solder the two jump rings evenly spaced across the top. Clean with flux cleaner.
9. Make two tiny wire hearts from the silver jewelry wire by shaping the wire around round-nose pliers. Solder one heart to the lower left corner of each side of the pendant.
10. Attach the chain onto wire strung with two beads next to each jump ring on the pendant and close with the flat-nosed pliers. Add a lobster clasp.
Alisa Taxe, Beverly Hills, Calif.
Turn a gourd scrap into a painted jewelry pendant in this simple necklace project.
Employ metalsmithing and jewelry making techniques to make this beautiful silver and turquoise necklace.
Use a classic childhood song and a personal photo to create this sterling silver necklace.