How to Make a Mosaic Gecko Mirror
Make a playful, gecko-shaped mirror covered in mosaic.
E-mail This Page to Your Friendsx
A link to %this page% was e-mailed
Materials and Tools:
gecko pattern (shapes drawn and cut out on paper or poster board)
sheet of pine or plywood
white latex paint
drill with appropriate bit
12-1/2" exterior wood screws
stained glass in variety of colors
2 large glass goblets (for eyes)
glasscutter and glass breakers
black-sanded tile grout
rough sanding block or belt sander
4-6 mirror clips with screws
12" x 12" mirror
hanging wire and eye hooks
water and sponge
1. Draw a gecko pattern to the desired scale on a large piece of paper or poster board. Cut out the pattern pieces.
2. Trace around the pattern outline onto a sheet of wood.
3. Wearing safety glasses, cut out the gecko pieces with a scroll saw.
4. Paint the pieces with white latex paint.
5. Glue and screw the pieces together to form the gecko.
6. Score various colors of glass with a glasscutter into triangle, rectangle, diamond, trapezoid and square shapes and break them with glass breakers into various sizes.
7. Using white glue, glue the glass pieces to the gecko form starting on the top. Let dry.
8. Place the gecko into a vice, and glue rectangular and square glass pieces to the side edges by rotating the form little by little as it dries. This step can take several days to accomplish.
9. Wearing rubber gloves and a respirator, prepare the tile grout mixture according to the manufacturer's directions.
10. Apply the grout to the gecko form by hand. Fill in all the gaps between the glass pieces.
11. Clean the grout with a wet sponge. Repeat until the glass is clean.
12. Rub the glass with a dry rag to remove any excess grout.
13. Clean the back of the piece by sanding any excess grout off to achieve a clean wood surface.
14. Paint the clean back surface with black paint. Let dry.
15. Cut the mirror to the appropriate size using a glasscutter.
16. Attach the mirror to the back of the mosaic with mirror clips and screws.
17. Attach a hanging wire and eye hooks to display your gecko mirror.
Stacey Williams, Wahiawa, Hawaii
Make a tropical-themed mosaic mirror with these step-by-step instructions.