How to Make a Modern Mosaic Tile Box
Create a modern, colorful clay tile mosaic pattern on top of a decorative box.
E-mail This Page to Your Friendsx
A link to %this page% was e-mailed
Materials and Tools:
1/2" drilled wood cubes
assorted beads including seed beads
white Sculpey polymer clay
2 roasting pans
gold spray paint
small bottle of acrylic gold paint
detail and medium paint brushes
Fimo gloss varnish
crimping beads or fishing weights
1. Spray inside the box, lid and cube for the tassel with gold metallic spray paint and let dry.
2. Roll out white polymer clay with a rolling pin on wax paper.
3. Cut long rows of polymer clay with the knife and then cut into squares and rectangles with clay blade. No measuring, just freehand.
4. Score a design on several of the clay squares using the non-serrated knife. Bake as directed on package in a roasting pan with lid and let cool. While baking, mix acrylic paint and apply to entire box and legs. Let dry.
5. Paint legs to match with gold paint on the tips and let dry.
6. Using a ruler, draw a diamond shape design on the box and then paint with a contrasting color. Glue legs onto box.
7. Make tassels using wire and beads, feeding it through the wood cube. Crimp the wire on top of the wood cube so it stays in place. Glue tassels onto box one at a time.
8. Paint the tiles using acrylic paints and let dry.
9. Glue the tiles onto the top of the box. Use seed beads as grout if necessary.
10. Cover the tiles with varnish.
Laurie Mika, Encinitas, Calif.
An ordinary mint tin seems like it's been around for ages with this aging technique.