How to Make a Maui Koi Glass Mural
Fuse glass pieces and powdered glass together to create this colorful Maui koi mural.
E-mail This Page to Your Friendsx
A link to %this page% was e-mailed
Materials and Tools:
assorted 24" x 30" Venetian glass sheets
Glas Tac tacky solution (for tacking glass designs)
powdered glass in assorted colors
1. Illustrate the Maui koi design concept on paper.
2. Select the colored glass sheets for the glass mural. Mark the shapes on the glass sheets and cut out the glass pieces with glasscutters and pliers. Wear protective gloves and eyewear
3. Place the cutout shapes on a sheet of clear textured glass following the drawn design. Tack the glass pieces in place. Position small square glass mosaic pieces between the glass shapes to fill in the design.
4. Place the piece in the kiln and first fuse or flat fuse. Let cool.
5. Draw a fish-shaped stencil and cut it out of paper.
6. Position the stencil on the fused glass piece to begin the process of making a fish:
- Pour powdered glass into a small, fine mesh sieve. Hold the sieve over the stencil and tap it with your finger to cover the stencil with powdered glass.
- Add a second powdered glass color by applying it with a small funnel.
- Remove the stencil and brush excess powdered glass from the piece.
- Repeat the stencil in four places on the plate.
7. Place the Maui koi glass mural piece in the kiln and fire again (second fuse also known as tack fuse). Let cool.
8. Wear protective eyewear, gloves and an apron. Grind the edges of the piece on a glass grinder.9. Place the plate on a wave-shaped mold in the kiln and fire for the final time. Let cool.
Embellish a plain mirror with this design to create a contemporary glass mosaic.