How to Make a Living Wreath
A wreath can be made from more than just dried flowers and ribbons. Try living plant materials to freshen your decor.
E-mail This Page to Your Friendsx
A link to %this page% was e-mailed
A living wreath is a fragrant and fresh way to decorate your home. Choose plants such as boxwood, maidenhair fern, cyclamen, or, like this one, miniature African violets. For care and maintenance of your living wreath:
- Place the wreath in a humid room, like the powder room or kitchen. To water thoroughly, fill the sink or tub with water and lay the wreath in the water.
- Mist occasionally and add some liquid fertilizer to the mister every so often. Misting won't hurt the blooms.
- Provide the amount of light preferred by the plants you've chosen.
- The wreath can also be used flat, perhaps with a candle in the center. Be sure to protect whatever surface you place the wreath on.
Materials and Tools:
12" wire wreath frame
green wax-coated string
dried sheet moss
small pots of miniature plants such as African violets
1. Tie the string to any spot along the wire frame, leaving a 4-6" tail. Wrap the tail with a piece of masking tape so it will be easy to find later when the frame is filled.
2. Hydrate sheet moss in a bucket of water. It will be less messy and mold to the frame once wet.
3. Loosen the first violet from its pot and gently remove it, keeping the soil loose around the roots.
4. Squeeze out a piece of sheet moss and wrap it around the entire root system of the violet. Squeeze the moss close to the roots and then nestle the little package into the frame.
5. Wrap the string around the plant three to four times, close to the roots, to secure.
6. Continue covering a plant with moss and positioning it in the frame, and then wrapping it with string until the entire frame is covered.
7. Tie the tail end covered with masking tape to the other end of the string, making two or three knots. Cut off the excess.
Bring a touch of whimsy to your Halloween decor with this fun feather wreath. Add ribbon or a colorful feather embellishment to...