How to Make a Lauhala Hat
Weave a distinctive look with pandanus leaves to create a perfect beach hat.
E-mail This Page to Your Friendsx
A link to %this page% was e-mailed
Materials and Tools:
pandanus (lauhala) leaves
manual pasta machine
homemade cutting tool
homemade wooden hat form
small sharp knife
spray bottle of water
feather, flower lei or shell
1. Clean the leaves.
2. Shave the leaves with a small knife to remove the thorns.
4. Cut the leaves 18 to 20 inches long.
5. Cut the leaves into 1/8-inch-wide strips with a homemade stripper.
10. Remove the hat from the wooden hat form and trim excess strands.
11. To shape the hat, spray it with water and apply a hot iron while it's on the hat form.
12. Decorate the lauhala hat with shells, feathers or a fresh flower lei.
Design on a Dime design coordinator Spencer Anderson shares how to make a contemporary Christmas out of copper pipe, foam...
These socks can be filled with gifts kids can look forward to each day, such as small toys, candy, sweet notes or coins. It...
Use double firing and stenciling techniques to create the distinctive raku look.