How to Make a Felt Bowl With a Polymer Base
Make your own felt from wool and shape it into a unique bowl with these simple steps.
E-mail This Page to Your Friendsx
A link to %this page% was e-mailed
Materials and Tools:
100% wool roving or batting in 2 colors
wool pencil roving in 2 colors
washboard and washing machine
warm soapy water
1. Wrap a ball with one color of pencil roving.
2. Wrap the ball with one color of wool batting.
3. Wrap the ball with the other color of wool batting.
4. Wrap the ball with the remaining color of pencil roving. The ball should be about the size of a basketball.
5. Put the ball in a nylon stocking and tighten.
6. Gently pour warm soapy water over the ball and tighten the nylon as it compresses.
7. Rub the ball on a washboard to felt (shrink), and put it in a washing machine to harden, if necessary.
8. While the ball dries, make a ball of clay the size of a racquetball.
9. Layer this ball with a thin layer of colored polymer clay that's been rolled through a pasta maker.
10. Smooth the surface, and press down with a large round object to make an indentation for the felted bowl to rest in.
11. Bake the clay according to the package directions. Allow to cool.
12. When the felted ball is dry, slice it open with an electric knife and take out the inside ball.
13. Glue half of the felt ball to the clay base.
Cover the back of a bowl with newspaper strips and spackle, and use paint and leaves to create a decorative piece.