How to Make a Domino Art Pendant
Transfer an image onto a vintage domino piece to create a trendy art pendant.
E-mail This Page to Your Friendsx
A link to %this page% was e-mailed
Materials and Tools:
320-grit and 400-grit sandpaper
gloss acrylic spray
inkjet decal transfer paper
acrylic paint: green, brown, flesh color, blue
bowl of warm water
computer and image editing program
silver leafing pen
jump rings or o-rings
1/8" hole punch
heat embossing tool
1. Draw an image onto a piece of maple wood.
2. Paint the image using acrylic paints.
3. Photograph the finished image with a digital camera.
4. Resize the image using computer image editing software to 2" x 1" and print the image onto decal transfer paper. Print several images on the paper in case one becomes torn in the transfer process.
5. Spray three even coats of high-gloss acrylic spray onto the transfer sheet allowing each layer to dry before applying another coat.
6. Mark the middle of the back side (numbered side) of the domino for drilling a hole to place the necklace cord.
7. Score the marked area on the domino with a razor blade. Drill the hole.
8. Sand the solid front and sides of the domino with 320-grit sand paper and resand with 400-grit sandpaper for a smooth finish.
9. Spray the unnumbered side of the domino with one light coat of acrylic gloss spray. Let dry.
10. Cut out the transfer image and slightly round the corners to match the rounded corners of the domino.
11. Place the image onto the domino and mark the hole in the image to correspond with the drilled hole in the domino. Hole punch the image using a hole punch.
12. Dip the transfer image into warm water for 60 seconds.
13. Slide the transfer onto the domino. Remove air bubbles with your finger. Use a paper towel to press the image down and remove excess water. Using your finger in a rolling motion, go around the edges and over the entire image to make sure it is secure on the domino.
14. Let the image dry for about an hour.
15. Tape the side edge of the domino.
16. Go around the domino and image with a silver leafing pen.
17. Heat-emboss the silver leafing to speed up drying. Remove the tape.
18. Spray the domino with a few coats of acrylic spray. Let dry.
19. Apply even coats of polyurethane with a foam brush, allowing each coat to dry before applying another until satisfied with the finish.
20. Cut the desired length of leather cord and string it through the drilled hole in the domino. Slide an accent bead down over the leather cord.
21. Using jewelry pliers attach two end connectors (one for each end of the leather).
22. Attach two split jump rings (one for each end connector) and one lobster clasp.
Kelly Smith, Rising Sun, Md.
Make a beautiful necklace pendant from sterling silver by cutting out your own design with a jeweler's saw.
Try a new glass blowing technique that creates a swirling, melted glass pendant.
Use a variety of under glazes and a photo transfer technique to make unique jewelry pendants.