How to Make a Crocheted Metal Handbag
Combine traditional crocheting techniques with silver wire for a modern look on a classic leather purse.
E-mail This Page to Your Friendsx
A link to %this page% was e-mailed
Materials and Tools:
fabric for lining and strap
30-gauge sterling silver wire
stainless steel washers
glue gun and hot glue
sewing machine and sewing supplies for stitching leather
crochet hook, size 6 or 1.8mm
needle nose pliers
leather hand needle
1. Cut two 5" x 7" leather pieces for the front and back of the purse. Cut an additional 2" x 17" strip of leather for the sides and bottom.
2. Equip the sewing machine with a heavy duty needle for sewing leather. With wrong sides together, stitch the front of the purse to the leather strip around three sides, creating the two sides and bottom of the purse. Use a 1/4-inch seam allowance.
3. With wrong sides together, stitch the back to the other edge of the leather strip. The top will be open and the seam allowances will remain on the outside of the purse.
4. Measure and cut fabric for the lining the same dimensions as the purse leather pieces. Stitch the lining together just like you made the leather purse except with right sides together. Turn the lining right side out before inserting it into the purse.
5. Cut a 26" x 4" strap for the purse. With wrong sides together, fold the strip lengthwise so the edges meet in the center. Fold the strip lengthwise along the center and topstitch the strap and the open edges.
6. Place the lining inside the leather purse with wrong sides together and stitch together around the top. Change the bobbin thread to match the leather. Stitch the ends of the strap to the top edges of the sides between the purse and the lining.
7. Create crocheted silver panels to fit over the bag's front and back leather pieces with silver wire and a size 6 crochet hook. Chain as many stitches as necessary to measure the width of the purse. Work each row in slipstitch, incorporating the silver washers into the design until the piece measures the length of the bag. Make two panels.
8. Hand stitch the crocheted silver panels onto the front and back of the purse. It's helpful to grasp the needle with needle-nose pliers to push the needle through the leather.
9. Place feathers along the open edge, sides and bottom of the purse and attach with hot glue.
Kelly Darke, Michigan
Create this shimmering dragonfly pendant using precious metal clay.