How to Make a Craft Box Purse
Transform a craft box into a purse by embellishing it with paint, jewels, glitter a beaded handle.
E-mail This Page to Your Friendsx
A link to %this page% was e-mailed
Materials and Tools:
craft paint: yellow, gold, purple, 2 shades of green (or colors of your choice)
sanding machine and sandpaper
foam dragonfly stamps
piano wire (for handle)
beads (for handle)
decorative paper for lining
handheld rotary drill
adhesive-backed hook-and-loop tape
1. Remove the original craft-box latch and hinges with a screwdriver.
2. Wearing safety glasses, sand the entire craft box with a sander, or hand-sand with sandpaper.
3. Using a foam brush, apply a coat of the darker green paint on the lid sides, light green on the front and back and yellow on the lid and ends of the box. Paint the inside of the lid yellow. Apply the paint with a foam brush.
4. When dry, sand the box again.
5. Apply second coats of the paints. Let dry.
6. Apply a coat of polyurethane. Let dry. Repeat.
7. Replace the hinges and the latch with new brass ones.
8. Stencil a dragonfly or other design on the lid of the box, using green paint for the body and purple for the wings.
9. Stamp two dragonflies onto the front of the box, using yellow and gold paint. Glue two jewels on each dragonfly for eyes.
10. Coat the dragonflies with a layer of polyurethane.
11. Attach plastic jewels and crystals to the dragonfly with jewel glue, and form a flower from jewels on one end of the box.
12. Apply polyurethane to the ends of the box, cover the jewels on the flower as well. While the polyurethane is still wet, sprinkle on glitter with a fan-shaped brush.
13. Drill two holes in the lid of the box for the purse handle.
14. Cut a piece of piano wire the desired length of the handle plus enough to secure on the inside of the box.
15. String the piano wire through one of the drilled holes. Place a bead on the end of the wire on the inside of the box lid, and twist the wire around the bead to secure, using needle-nose pliers.
16. String beads onto the wire handle.
17. String the opposite end of the wire through the other drilled hole and secure with another bead on the underside of the box lid, using pliers.
18. Line the inside of the box by gluing paper along the sides.
19. Attach adhesive-backed hook-and-loop tape to a mirror and stick it to the inside of the lid.
Transform an old cigar box into a stylish purse with these simple instructions.