How to Make a Clay Turtle Pencil Topper
Bring back grade school memories with this fun clay turtle pencil topper.
E-mail This Page to Your Friendsx
A link to %this page% was e-mailed
Materials and Tools:
Amazing Eraser Clay: green, pink, orange, purple, blue
baking dish or cookie sheet
1. For the turtle shell: Roll a 1-1/8" ball of green clay into an oval. Use the rounded end of paintbrush to make a hole in the center of the bottom, large enough to fit on a pencil top. Press bottom against a flat surface.
2. Roll a 1/8" round log of blue approximately 14" long. Place the two ends together and twist. Keep twisting until it fits around the lower part of the shell. Press twisted log around bottom and cut off where ends meet.
3. For the turtle head: Roll a 11/16" ball of purple into a teardrop and then shape into a head. Use a knife to make the turtle's mouth.
4. For eyes, roll two 6/32" balls of orange. Press together slightly and press onto top of head. Roll two 1/16" balls of blue; flatten slightly and press onto center of each eye. For pupils, use a toothpick to make a hole in each eye. For nostrils, use a toothpick to make two holes above the mouth. Set head aside.
5. For feet, roll four 3/8" balls of purple into teardrops. Flatten slightly and use a knife to make three toe lines in each foot. Press onto the bottom of the shell.
6. For the turtle's tail: Roll a 1/4" ball of purple into a teardrop. Flatten slightly; curl and press onto bottom of shell.
7. To decorate the shell: Roll a 1/16" round log of pink into a 12" long log. Randomly press all over shell. Roll 1/16" balls of orange and blue and press these all over the shell. Attach the head to the shell.
8. Bake at 250 degrees F for 10 minutes.
Make a large clay jar and decorate it with a variety of glazes and embellishments with these steps.
A photo key chain makes a great holiday gift. Follow these instructions by Donna Kato to learn how to make your own photo key...
Fold a clay origami crane to hang as a decorative ornament in a window or on a holiday tree.