How to Make a Beaded Handle and Flower Pin Purse
Sew a handmade purse with grommets for beaded handles and an embellished suede flower pin.
E-mail This Page to Your Friendsx
A link to %this page% was e-mailed
Materials and Tools:
iron-on adhesive strips
iron-on adhesive sheets
3/8" nickel colored grommets
grommet setting tool
sparkly seed beads
needle nose pliers
sewing machine and thread
1. Cut two pieces of 9-1/2" x 10-1/2" purse fabric. Cut lining pieces the same size. Cut a smaller piece of fabric for a pocket.
2. Cut two pieces of iron-on adhesive to fit the purse pieces allowing a 1-inch seam allowance on the top. Iron the adhesive onto each purse piece. Remove the paper backing.
3. Cut two pieces of stiffener the same size as the adhesive pieces and iron them onto each piece of purse fabric.
4. Cut a 1-inch square piece off the stiffened fabric at the bottom corners.
5. With right sides together, stitch around the sides and bottom of the purse using a 5/8-inch seam allowance.
6. Sew the two bottom corners on a diagonal creating the purse's bottom. Turn the purse right side out.
7. Cut the edges of the pocket with pinking shears to prevent fraying. Place the wrong side of the pocket to the right side of one piece of the lining and adhere with iron-on adhesive strips. Stitch around three sides of the pocket leaving an opening at the top.
8. Place the two pieces of lining with right sides together and stitch the two sides. Turn right side out.
9. With right sides together, place the lining around the purse and sew around the top.
10. Turn the lining right side out and stitch the bottom of the lining closed. Push the lining into the purse.
11. Mark holes for four grommets, two on each side of the purse. Punch holes for the grommets. Fasten grommets into the purse with a hammer and grommet tool.
12. Cut a piece of wire about 14 inches long. Insert the wire through one grommet from the outside of the purse and twist it around the grommet.
13. String on glass beads to make an 8-inch handle. Insert the other end of the wire through the grommet on the same side of the purse from the outside. Twist to close the handle. Repeat the process on other side of the bag.
14. Using a snap tool, punch both sides of snaps into place in the middle of the purse.
15. Cut a 5" x 9" piece of suede. Cut a flower pattern from paper and trace it onto the suede. Cut out the flower.
16. Pinch each petal together and hand-sew at the bottom of the petal with beading thread. This creates a three-dimensional flower. Repeat for each petal.
17. Cut a 6-inch piece of feathery yarn and wrap it around your finger. Wrap the loops with a 1-inch piece of yarn and tie a knot. Cut the loops.
18. Glue the yarn to the center of the flower with two-part epoxy.
19. Using a piece of beading thread, push the needle up from the bottom at the base of the petal, thread on about 10 beads until they reach the tip of the petal, and push the needle down at the petal's tip making a bead spray. Make three sprays of beads per petal.
20. Glue a pin to the suede flower. Let dry and pin it to the purse.
With just a little creativity, you can turn a scrap piece of leather into a fashion-forward pin or hair clip that makes a sweet...