How to Make a 3-D Ceramic Art Block
Create a 3-D ceramic art block to hang on your wall using under glazes and a silkscreen design.
E-mail This Page to Your Friendsx
A link to %this page% was e-mailed
Jasna Sokolovic's 3-D ceramic art block uses under glazes and silkscreening techniques to decorate a ceramic art block you can hang on your wall.
- clay cutting wire
- rolling pin
- needle tool knife
- circle punch tool
- ceramic under glazes (black and other colors)
- container of water
- paper templates
- masking tape
- card stock or credit card
- ceramic pencil
1. Cut a piece of clay from the raw clay block and roll it into a sheet using a rolling pin.
2. Measure and cut slabs from the sheet for the front, back, sides, top and bottom of the ceramic block.
3. Assemble the block by scoring the edges with a toothbrush and applying slip.
4. Press the pieces together and smooth them with your fingers (Image 1).
5. Scratch and draw designs into the clay with a needle tool knife to apply texture to the surface of the block. Pierce the clay with a needle tool for added texture (Image 2).
6. Choose a front and a back. Measure and cut holes for hanging on the back using a circle punch tool. Punch four holes so the block can be hung in a variety of ways.
7. Let the clay block dry to the bone dry stage.
8. Bisque-fire the ceramic block in the kiln. Let cool.
Create a one-of-a-kind bottle featuring a colorful block pattern.