How to Build a Handcrafted Wine Rack
Designer Kahi Lee of Design on a Dime shows how easy it is to create a custom-made wine rack for your home.
E-mail This Page to Your Friendsx
A link to %this page% was e-mailed
Need a stylish wine-storage solution? Just follow these steps.
- table saw
- 3/4-inch plywood
- sandpaper or sanding block
- hand drill
- 4-inch hole-saw attachment
- 3/4-inch wood-grain edge tape
- water-based stain
- two weenie rollers (paint rollers with small tubular pad attachments about the size and shape of a hot dog; you can also use a standard paint roller)
- water-based polyurethane
- square wooden 2" x 2" dowels
- wood glue
- nail gun
- construction adhesive
1. Use a table saw to cut two pieces of plywood to the desired size and then sand the edges. Both pieces should be the same size.
2. Use a compass and pencil to trace 4-inch-diameter circles on both pieces of freshly cut plywood, making sure the circles on one piece of plywood are 3/4 inch higher than on the other. This ensures that the wine bottles will rest at a downward angle.
3. Attach the 4-inch hole-saw attachment to the hand drill and cut out the freshly traced circles from the plywood (Image 1). Lightly sand raw inner circular forms.
4. Place the wood-grain edge tape on the raw edge of the plywood and iron it on for a smooth, finished edge (Image 2). Lightly sand the edge. Use the table saw to cut three additional pieces of plywood for the top, bottom and one side.
5. Apply stain to the outer-facing sides of all plywood pieces with a weenie roller. Prime and paint the inner-facing sides of all plywood with a paintbrush. Finish stained pieces by applying polyurethane with a fresh weenie roller.
6. Fit together all pieces of plywood and secure, using four square wooden dowels (on the exposed side) and wood-glue adhesive. Further secure with a nail gun.
7. Once assembled, use construction adhesive to secure the back side of the wine rack to the wall. Further secure with the nail gun.
Step-by-step instructions for making a simple rack for quilts and linens