How to Applique a Wool Felt Hat
Create a colorful, chic wool felt hat embellished with dog, bird, flower and star appliques.
E-mail This Page to Your Friendsx
A link to %this page% was e-mailed
Materials and Tools:
wool suiting fabric
wool and acrylic felt
2-inch wide ribbon
1/4-inch wide ribbon
cotton broadcloth or flannel lining
1. Lay out the paper hat pattern for the body and crown of the hat on wool suiting fabric.
2. Pin the pattern on the wool and cut out the hat pieces.
3. Lay the applique patterns onto the wool and acrylic felt and polyester fleece fabrics, and cut out dog, bird, flowers and stars shapes.
4. Pin the various appliques onto the hat and crown.
5. Stitch the appliques using a zigzag stitch on the sewing machine. Zigzag stitch with contrasting color thread as desired.
6. Pin the two short ends of the hatband, with right sides together, and stitch the seam using a 1/2-inch seam allowance. Press the seam open.
7. Pin the crown piece to the body or band piece with right sides together.
8. Stitch the band to the crown on the sewing machine.
9. Turn the hat right side out.
10. Turn under the bottom edge 1/4 inch and stitch.
11. Hand-sew vintage buttons onto the dog and bird for eyes. Stitch a vintage button to the center of the flower.
12. Cut a piece of 2-inch wide ribbon 5 inches long.
13. Cut a small slit in the bird for ribbon wing placement. Thread the ribbon through the slit and hand stitch in place. Note: You may be able to pull the ribbon through the bird without cutting a small slit if you are using a loosely woven fabric for the bird.
14. Cut a small piece of 1/4-inch ribbon or fabric for the dog's collar and stitch in place.
15. Lay out the hat pattern on cotton lining fabric. Pin it in place. Cut out the lining.
16. Pin the short sides of the lining of the hatband or body right sides together. Stitch the seam with a 1/2-inch seam allowance and press it open.
17. Pin the crown of the lining to the band, with right sides together, and stitch the band to the crown.
18. Turn the lining right side out.
19. Turn under the bottom edge 1/4 inch and stitch.
20. Place the lining into hat with wrong sides together.
21. Pin the lower edges together matching the seams and stitch the lining to the story hat.
South Portland, Maine
This hat project uses knitting, felting and sewing techniques to create a vintage look.