Holiday Food Gift: Coffee Cupcakes Recipe
These coffee-flavored cupcakes make the perfect homemade holiday gift and come in their own coffee-themed to-go container. Dress them up with a ribbon and mini ornament to spread seasonal cheer.
E-mail This Page to Your Friendsx
A link to %this page% was e-mailed
- 12 16-ounce plain paper coffee cups with sleeves and lids
- ribbon and mini ornaments, for embellishment
For the cupcake:
2 1/4 cups cake flour
1 cup milk, at room temperature
3 tablespoons instant coffee
3 large eggs, at room temperature
1 3/4 cups granulated sugar
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon table salt
1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
For the frosting:
1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup non-hydrogenated vegetable shortening
6 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
1 teaspoon almond extract
Instructions for the Cake
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
2. Place milk, coffee and egg whites into a medium bowl and whisk until blended.
3. Mix cake flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in bowl or electric mixer on low speed. Add butter. Continue beating on low for 1-2 minutes or until fully combined.
4. Add all but 1/2 cup of liquid mixture to flour mixture and beat at medium speed for 1 1/2 minutes. Add remaining 1/2 cup of liquid and beat for 1 minute more.
5. Pour batter into paper cups to just over half full.
6. Bake until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 27 to 30 minutes.
7. Allow cake to cool to room temperature.
8. Frost cupcakes with white bakery frosting and sprinkle with colored sugar.
Instructions for the Frosting
1. Place butter and shortening in a bowl and beat on low speed until smooth and creamy.
2. Add confectioners' sugar, 1/2 cup at a time, and mix until fully blended.
3. Turn mixer to medium-high and beat for another 3 minutes.
The holiday experts share an easy recipe for adding the flavors of chocolate and peppermint to marshmallow and crisp rice...
The handmade holiday experts at HGTV.com share step-by-step instructions for making oversized chocolate chip cookies in tins...
The holiday crafting experts at HGTV.com share step-by-step instructions for making an easy pinecone garland.