Handy Gadget Holder
Make a soft bag to hold your iPod, cell phone, digital camera or PDA.
E-mail This Page to Your Friendsx
A link to %this page% was e-mailed
Materials and tools:
3/8-yard main fabric
3/8-yard lining fabric
3/8-yard medium-weight fusible interfacing
1-inch bias-tape maker
1/2" or 5/16" swivel hook closure
1/2" or 5/16" D-ring
2 snaps and corresponding snap-setting tool
scissors or rotary cutter and mat
1. Measure the gadget (PDA, digital camera or cell phone). This project makes a holder for electronic devices measuring 4-1/2 inches high by 2-1/2 inches wide by 3/4-inches deep or smaller. If your gadget is smaller or larger, simply adjust the measurements listed here by subtracting or adding the difference to the length, width and depth.
2. Cut main fabric into a rectangle measuring 12-1/2 inches long by 4 inches wide. Cut lining fabric and interfacing into a rectangle of the same size. Cut a strip of fabric 2 inches wide by 7 inches long for the strap.
3. Place the glue side of the interfacing against the wrong side of the fabric and press firmly with an iron, following the interfacing manufacturer's directions on proper iron temperature and press time.
4. Make strap by placing the strip of cut fabric into the wide end of a bias-tape maker and pulling it through to the short end, pressing the fabric with a hot iron as it's pulled through. Take this 1-inch-wide strip and fold it in half, creating a strap that is 1/2-inch wide and sew along both edges of the fabric.
5. Cut 1-1/2 inches off the sewn strap. This piece will be used to hold the D-ring that attaches the strap to the side of the bag.
6. Attach the swivel hook by inserting strap into the ring of the hook. Fold the edge of the fabric under 1/2-inch, and then fold by 1/2-inch again. Sew across fold.
7. Fold lining, right sides together, in half lengthwise; press with an iron and pin together. Sew side seams only using 1/4-inch seam allowance, leaving a 2-inch hole on one side.
8. Slip the small piece of strapping through the D-ring and sew this piece onto the right side of the main fabric, 1 inch down from the top edge so the ring and tab are facing inward. Sew the strap with swivel hook to the bottom edge of the fabric, one inch from the edge.
9. Fold the main fabric in half lengthwise and pin. Sew side seams using 1/4-inch seam allowance. Press open seam and clip corners. Turn bag right side out and press. Tip: Chopsticks are a great tool for poking out the corners of the bag.
10. Slip bag, right side out, into the wrong-side-out lining. Align side seams and pin into place. Sew the two pieces together across the top, using a 1/2-inch seam allowance.
11. Trim 1/4-inch off the top and flip the bag through the 2-inch hole in the lining. Press under seam allowance in the lining and sew this seam close to the edge. Push lining in bag and press.
12. Position snap in the middle of the bag, 1/4-inch down from the top (snap may be either the post or prong type). Secure snap to bag according to manufacturer's instructions.
Learn how to make simple and stylish custom pet clothing for all sizes.