Gift Wrap Scrap Cards
Follow these instructions on how to make your own Christmas cards.
E-mail This Page to Your Friendsx
A link to %this page% was e-mailed
Jeannette Coffman of Palestine, Texas, is a retired schoolteacher, and the project she sent in was one that she had done very successfully with her third-graders. Needless to say, this gave us the confidence to give it a try.
Jeannette used the sample sheets that were leftover from a gift wrapping paper sale that the youngsters had to raise money, but any colorful gift wrapping paper leftovers will work, and the more variety the better. Experiment for different effects.
Materials and Tools:
gift wrap scraps
1. Select a variety of papers and cut them into 1/4-inch-wide strips. Jeannette also cut some papers into 1/2-inch-wide strips. It's a matter of personal choice. They should be anywhere from 4 to 6 inches in length.
2. Cut the shape of a round ball ornament about 2 to 3 inches in diameter from a piece of cardstock or construction paper.
3. Using a glue stick, glue the strips one at a time horizontally or vertically onto the cutout shape, starting at one edge and working one strip at a time to the opposite edge. You may butt the strips up to one another or, for a slightly different effect, leave a 1/8-inch space between each strip.
4. When the entire cutout shape has been covered with the strips, turn the ornament over and cut off the extending lengths of the strips.
5. Turn the ornament back to the right side and add a small gold paper hanger. Stamp on branches if you like.
6. Draw a branch on the card and "hang" the ornament on it by gluing it in place. Write your holiday message.
Note: Any easy holiday shape can be used in addition to the round ornament. Cut differently shaped ornaments or a tree, a bell, an angel, etc. Jeannette also cut some of the strips into shorter strips, leaving a small space between each piece glued down so the effect was of a mosaic. All versions were most attractive.
In this project, James Bertelson makes delightful wrapped-paper items from Japanese handmade papers, including a wrapped cigar...
Make unique handmade greeting cards using inked stamps for a watercolor effect without the brush.
Find natural inspiration to create a delightful handmade card this season with organic elements that you can find outside your...