Eco-Friendly Hemp Dog Collar
Sew a sturdy collar that will hold up to the elements as well as your dog's roughhousing.
E-mail This Page to Your Friendsx
A link to %this page% was e-mailed
Crafter Audrey Rothaus demonstrates how to make an eco-friendly dog hemp collar can be customized with matching or contrasting thread.
- 1 yard of very heavy weight fabric (hemp canvas)
- thread to match/contrast with fabric
- 1" side release buckle
- 1" wide mouth slip lock
- sewing machine
1. Measure your dog's neck and add 11".
2. Cut two strips of fabric 2 1/4" wide by the length determined in step 1.
3. Pin the two strips of fabric together and sew them along the two long edges and one short edge, 5/8" in, creating a tube. Make sure to leave one of the short edges open.
4. Trim the edges, leaving only 1/4" of fabric extending beyond the stitching.
5. Attach a safety pin to the sewn, short side of the collar and push it up through the tube, turning the collar inside out.
6. Press seams, ironing the tube flat.
7. Fold the ends of the un-sewn side 5/8" into the tube and top stitch closed 1/8" from the edge.
8. Top stitch the other three sides of the collar 1/8" from edge.
9. Thread collar through slip lock buckle and fold back approximately 1 1/2" to make a loop around the center bar. Sew loop together by stitching a 1" square with an X in it several times.
10. Separate the two halves of the buckle.
11. Pass the collar through one half of the buckle from the inside of the buckle to the outside of the buckle.
12. Double the collar back over itself, threading the free end through the opening in the slip lock buckle that is on the same side as the folded tail. Now pass the end back down through the other opening in the slip lock buckle.
13. Slide other half of buckle, from the outside of the buckle to the inside of the buckle, onto free end of collar.
14. Fold back approximately 1 1/2" of the free end of the collar to make a loop around the buckle. Sew loop together by stitching a 1" square with an X in it several times.
Make a practical raincoat and collar set for your dog so you can both go for a walk even when it's raining.
From pint-sized armoires to cozy handmade dog beds, you and your furry friend will love these doggie decor projects straight...(8 photos)