Dog Bed With Removable Pouch
Sew this fleece dog bed to give your pooch a handmade place to rest.
E-mail This Page to Your Friendsx
A link to %this page% was e-mailed
Crafter Amy Brock demonstrates how to sew a soft, round dog bed with fleece and your choice of material. These measurements make a small dog bed.
Materials and Tools:
2 yd. 45" wide or 1 yd. 60" wide material (main part of bed)
1 yd. of fleece (top of bed)
2 1/4 yd. 45" wide or 1 1/4 yd. 60" wide muslin (inner bed)
2 yd. snap strips
60-70 oz. poly fiberfill
1. Make pattern pieces: The first piece is a half circle with a 25-inch diameter. The second piece is a 20-1/2" x 3-1/2" rectangle for the placket. The third piece is a 20-1/2" x 5-1/2" rectangle for the band around the sides.
2. Lay out and pin pattern pieces #1, #2, and #3 on the main bed material. Pieces #1 and #2 will be placed on the fold. Cut out the pattern pieces: Cut two units of piece #1 and #2, and three units of piece #3.
3. Lay out and pin pattern piece #1 on the fleece fabric. Cut out the piece.
4. Lay out and pin all pattern pieces on muslin for the inner bed. Cut out. Cut two units of piece #1 and four units of piece #3 for the banding. There is no zipper in the inner bed.
5. Make the outer bed first. Press open 5/8-inch seam allowance on the bottom of the placket and 3/4 inch on the top. This is where the zipper will attach.
6. Put the zipper underneath the placket with 5/8 inch pressed under and stitch the bottom of the closed zipper to the bottom of the placket opening. Put the placket piece with 3/4 inch pressed under on top of the zipper so it just covers the zipper. Stitch the top edge of the zipper to the placket piece.
7. Stitch the opening on the sides of the zipper together.
8. Stitch side band section (pattern pieces #3) right sides together along the shorter ends.
9. Stitch the placket to the band on the shorter ends with right sides together.
10. Sew the top of the bed to the banding with right sides together.
11. To make the removable pouch, sew piece #1 of the main material to piece #1 of the fleece. Sew right sides together leaving about 6 inches of sides and straight edge open. Turn right side out. Cut off the top 6 inches.
12. Sew one side of the snap strips onto the top of the bed in a half circle the same size as the pouch. Sew the other side of the snap strips onto the inside of the pouch. Fold the extra fleece over the main material and sew together.
13. Fold the fleece over the top of the pouch and stitch shut. Snap the pouch onto the bed.
14. Attach the bed bottom the same way you attached the top.
15. To make the inner bed, stitch the shorter ends of the three banding pieces (piece #3) with right sides together.
16. Sew the top and bottom circles to the banding with right sides together leaving enough room to turn the inner bed inside out and stuff.
17. Turn the inner bed right side out, stuff with polyfill and hand sew the opening shut.
18. Put the inner bed inside the outer bed and zip your dog bed shut.
Turn unused space into a window seat with a cozy pet bed tucked in below.
Give your furry friend a comfortable spot to sleep using reclaimed shipping wood pallets.
Give a thrifted vintage bedside table or nightstand the shabby chic look of a French antique with inexpensive milk paint and a...