Build a Brass and Aluminum Wall Hanging
Assemble and display this geometric-shaped metal wall hanging using basic metalworking techniques.
E-mail This Page to Your Friendsx
A link to %this page% was e-mailed
Metal worker Karen Chittick of Aurora, Neb., demonstrates how to create an impressive metal art piece from bronze and aluminum metal sheets.
Materials and Tools:
aluminum metal sheets
bronze metal sheets
found-object for hanging
two-part epoxy glue
white vinegar in glass jar
ammonia in plastic container
1. Sketch a geometric design on paper with a marker and ruler. Cut out the paper pattern with a utility knife.
2. Trace the pattern on the aluminum and bronze metal sheets.
3. Wear safety glasses and cut out the design using a band saw. File the edges of the metal smooth using a metal file.
4. Mark places for holes on the metal where the wires will be strung to suspend the sections of the design. Drill the holes in the geometric metal forms.
5. Cut a piece of wire and place it through the holes of the bronze metal pieces. Dip them in white vinegar to begin the patina process.
6. Suspend the bronze pieces on the wire over ammonia in a plastic container. Do not immerse the metal in the ammonia. Cover the container with aluminum. Leave it overnight. Remove the metal pieces from the container.
7. Cut 32 wire pieces.
8. Heat one end of each wire to form a ball using a torch.
9. Assemble the geometric pieces by hanging them on the wires. Bend the wires as needed.
10. Heat the straight end of each wire to form another ball to lock the wires in place. The wire will not pull through the drilled holes and the metal pieces will hold together.
11. Epoxy the bronze pieces onto the aluminum.
12. Attach the hanger using wire.
13. Polish the metal wall hanging.
Cut art glass into tiles to create a mosaic wall hanging.
This easy-to-make desk is the perfect storage solution for a tiny office or playroom.
Embellish a bamboo placemat with decorative papers, a tree branch, beads, tassels and other mediums to create a unique wall...