Spring Gardening Planner
Do these tasks during spring , and caring for your garden will be easier, quicker and more satisfying.
- Excerpted from How to Grow Practically Everything
E-mail This Page to Your Friendsx
A link to %this page% was e-mailed
- Cut back ornamental grasses, prairie-style borders and autumn-flowering perennials.
- Prepare beds and borders for planting; weed and dig over the soil; add organic matter where appropriate.
- Prune late-flowering shrubs, early summer-flowering clematis and roses.
- Cut lavender hedges back.
- Apply a granular fertilizer around shrubs, trees and perennials.
- Sow half-hardy annuals indoors.
- Pot up plug plants indoors.
- Lift and divide established clumps of perennials.
- Plant hardy grasses.
- Regularly deadhead spring-flowering bulbs and bedding plants.
- Repot Christmas trees.
- Plant perennials, summer-flowering bulbs and pond plants.
- Inside, plant Thai herbs.
- Plant indoor hanging basket.
- Sow hardy annuals directly outdoors; sow tender annuals indoors.
- Sow vegetables and plant potatoes.
- Sow a wildflower meadow.
- Mulch the soil.
- Start weeding.
- Prune early-flowering shrubs and early clematis after flowering.
- Stake herbaceous perennials.
- Start mowing the lawn.
Any Time of Year
- Make a compost bin; fill, turn and empty when necessary.
- Make a wooden obelisk.
- Create a bog garden.
- Dig out a pond.
- Make a border and lawn edge.
- Make a rose arch.
- Check tree ties and loosen if necessary.
- Look out for pests and diseases, and take appropriate action.
- Cut out dead or diseased wood.
- Clean all cutting tools after use to prevent spreading plant diseases.
Excerpted from How to Grow Practically Everything
© 2010 Dorling Kindersley Limited
As one growing season ends, next year's can be taking shape. Fall is the perfect time to plan, plant and dream for a glorious...
Do these jobs during the fall, and caring for your garden will be easier, quicker and more satisfying the next growing season.
This elegant spring show builds up from the alternating white and blue hyacinths to the blue grape hyacinths (Muscari), hidden...