Trisha Yearwood's Cheese Straws Recipe
Satisfy your cheese craving with this easy appetizer made by singer Trisha Yearwood that's perfect for holiday entertaining.
E-mail This Page to Your Friendsx
A link to %this page% was e-mailed
3 (10--ounce) bricks sharp cheddar cheese, at room temperature
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
4 cups all--purpose flour, sifted
2 teaspoons salt
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
dash garlic powder
1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
2. Put the softened cheese and butter in the bowl of a heavy-duty electric mixer. Using the heaviest mixer attachment, beat the cheese and butter until the mixture has the consistency of whipped cream, about 30 minutes.
3. On a sheet of waxed paper, sift three cups of the flour with the salt, black pepper, cayenne and garlic powder. Gradually add the seasoned flour to the cheese mixture by large spoonfuls, beating well after each addition. Add the unseasoned flour until the dough is somewhat stiff but still soft enough to be pushed through a cookie press; you may not need to add all of the flour.
4. Lightly spray a cookie sheet with cooking spray. Put a portion of the dough into a cookie press fitted with the star tube and press the dough onto the cookie sheet in long strips that run the length of the pan. Note: If you don't have a cookie press, form the dough into 1-inch balls and flatten them with a fork.
5. Bake for 20 minutes. The cheese straws should be golden brown and crisp. With a sharp knife, cut the long strips into 3-inch lengths. Use a flat, thin spatula or egg turner to remove the cheese straws from the pan. Allow them to cool on a wire rack. When they are completely cool, store in a tightly covered container.
Yield: 4 dozen
From: Georgia Cooking in an Oklahoma Kitchen: Recipes from My Family to Yours by Trisha Yearwood
Quesadillas are classy nibbles for a glamping party, and they're so easy to make with a camp stove.
Enjoy good food, drinks and company, and revel in the ease and enjoyment of pulling together a successful meal.(10 photos)
A combination of three tasty cheeses — white Cheddar, gruyère and Swiss — make this mac 'n' cheese a creamy...