Tasty Chicken Stock Recipe
As a base for homemade soup or as an ingredient in comfort food favorites like Thanksgiving stuffing, starting with a quality stock will make all the difference.
- Excerpted from A Greener Christmas
E-mail This Page to Your Friendsx
A link to %this page% was e-mailed
1 small whole chicken (ask your butcher to remove the breasts first)
2 celery stalks, sliced
2 large carrots, sliced
1 leek sliced
1/2 parsnip, sliced
1 large onion, peeled and sliced
1 potato, diced
1/4 rutabaga, sliced
a little salt
12-1/2 cups boiling water
1. Place the chicken and all the vegetables in a large stockpot. Season with a little salt, add the boiling water and cover with a lid.
2. Bring back to a boil and allow it to boil for five minutes. Then cover the pot, lower the heat and let simmer for two hours.
3. Pour the entire contents of the pot through a sieve with a large enough bowl beneath it to collect all the stock. Let the stock cool, and then skim any fat off the surface.
4. Discard the vegetables, chicken bones and skin that remain in the sieve. The stock can be stored in the fridge for a day or so until you need to use it, or frozen for up to a month.
Excerpted from A Greener Christmas
© Dorling Kindersley Limited 2008