Marshmallow Jack-o'-Lantern Cookies
These little jack-o'-lanterns are as cute as they are tasty. Placed on a chocolate wafer for crunch, these soft marshmallows can be made several days ahead of your Halloween party. But they're so irresistible, you'll need to hide them
E-mail This Page to Your Friendsx
A link to %this page% was e-mailed
Before You Start:
We made ours with vanilla, but you could take this a step further by giving your marshmallows a different flavor, like orange, lemon or even chocolate. Making marshmallows is so much easier than many people think — but be extra careful when handling the hot syrup as it can cause serious burns. Store your finished treats in an airtight container for up to one week.
1 cup powdered sugar
powdered food coloring
3 1/2 envelopes unflavored gelatin
1 cup cold water
2 cups sugar
1/2 cup light corn syrup
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 egg whites
1 tablespoon vanilla or extract of your choice
orange sanding sugar
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1/3 cup heavy cream
24 chocolate wafers
1. Sift together powdered sugar and powdered food color. Whisk to combine well.
2. Oil a 9x13x2 pan and dust with powdered sugar on the bottom and sides. Set aside.
3. Pour 1/2 cup of the water in the bowl of a mixer then sprinkle the gelatin over the top. Let stand to soften.
4. In a medium saucepan, add the remaining water, sugar, corn syrup and salt. Heat over low heat, stirring occasionally, until completely dissolved.
5. Turn heat to medium-low to medium and bring to a boil. Continue cooking, without stirring, until mixture reaches 240 degrees F (soft ball stage) on a candy thermometer (10-12 minutes).
6. Remove from the heat and pour over the gelatin. Stir until gelatin is completely dissolved.
7. With the whisk attachment, beat the mixture on high speed until white, thick and more than double its original volume (6-8 minutes).
The Halloween entertaining experts share 40 recipes for homemade sweet and salty party snacks with a Halloween twist that your...(40 photos)
The Halloween experts at HGTV.com share 50 clever handmade costumes and makeup tricks to get both kids and adults ready for...(50 photos)
The Halloween handmade experts at HGTV.com share step-by-step instructions for making a kid's vintage aviator or pilot...