Make a Mulled-Wine Kit
Red wine that has been heated, or mulled, and flavored with spices is a time-honored Christmas drink, and a mulled-wine kit is the perfect present for someone who enjoys its warm, spicy undertones.
- Excerpted from A Greener Christmas
E-mail This Page to Your Friendsx
A link to %this page% was e-mailed
When you tie the spice sachet to the bottle, add a gift label with instructions for making the mulled wine and what other ingredients to add. One kit should be enough for about six glasses.
1 cinnamon stick
6 cardamom pods, lightly crushed
1 square cheesecloth, about 7 x 7 in.
1 pinch ground ginger
a length of twine
1 bottle red wine
1. Prepare the spices — break the cinnamon stick into three pieces, crush the cardamom pods lightly and grate a little fresh nutmeg.
2. Place the cinnamon, cardamom, nutmeg and cloves in the center of the cheesecloth square. Measure out the ginger and add it to the spices.
3. Gather the four corners of the cheesecloth and hold them with the fingertips of one hand. Gather up the four remaining corners.
4. Wrap the piece of twine around the top of the sachet and secure it tightly. Then tie the loose ends of the twine around the neck of the bottle.
Mulled Wine Instructions
Put the wine, sachet, half a cup of water and 6 tablespoons of granulated or demerara sugar into a pan. Heat gently until the sugar has dissolved, but don’t allow the wine to come to a boil. Add a splash of brandy, gin, Cointreau or port, the juice of 1 orange, and 1 orange and 1 lemon, each sliced and cut into segments.
Excerpted from A Greener Christmas
© Dorling Kindersley Limited 2008
The holiday experts at HGTV.com share these step-by-step instructions for creating handmade slippers.