Homemade Valentine's Day Mints Recipe
These homemade candy hearts will surely impress your valentine. You can even add their favorite color or flavoring for an extra-special touch.
E-mail This Page to Your Friendsx
A link to %this page% was e-mailed
2 tablespoons butter, softened
1 tablespoon vegetable shortening
1-2 teaspoons peppermint extract
food coloring (optional)
2-3 tablespoons hot water
1/2 pound powdered sugar
edible glitter (optional)
1. Mix ingredients in order.
2. Add 1 tablespoon of hot water at a time until the mixture can easily be rolled into a ball without being too sticky.
3. Roll each color into a ball and place on a cutting board with powdered sugar. Roll out each ball flat until it's approximately 1/4-inch thick (Image 1).
4. Wait 10-15 minutes before cutting out the hearts.
5. Dip your cookie cutter in powdered sugar and cut out each heart (Image 2).
6. Sprinkle with edible glitter, if desired.
7. Wait an additional 10-15 minutes before removing the hearts from the surrounding dough (Image 3).
8. Store in an airtight container.
Yields: Approximately 75 mints
The kids' crafting experts at HGTV.com share step-by-step instructions for turning inexpensive paper doilies into lacy treat...