Homemade Bread Animals
Bring imagination into the kitchen with this basic white bread recipe. Kids can creatively shape the dough into their favorite animals, creating a fun and edible treat.
- Excerpted from A Greener Christmas
E-mail This Page to Your Friendsx
A link to %this page% was e-mailed
When the breads are ready to be baked, mist the inside of the oven with a water spray. They are cooked if they have an all-around golden tinge and sound hollow when tapped on the base.
1 lb. 2 oz. all-purpose white bread flour
1 tsp. dried yeast
1 tsp. salt
1 1/4 cup tepid water
currants and pumpkin seeds for features and decoration
1. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Put the flour in a bowl, make a well in the center and add the yeast and salt. Gradually add the water and stir with a fork to make a loose dough. Use your hands to form a ball.
2. Turn the dough out onto a clean, lightly floured surface. Knead it for 8 to 10 minutes until it is elastic and pliable. Turn the dough gradually as you press and stretch it.
3. Shape the dough into a ball and place in a lightly floured bowl. Cover with a damp dishcloth and leave to rest in a warm place for one hour. Then shape the dough into animals. Tip: Covering dough with a damp dishcloth and leaving it to rest in a warm place allows the yeast in the dough to do its work and make the bread light. With a little warmth and moisture, the active ingredients in the yeast release carbon dioxide gas, which raises the dough.
4. Decorate the animals, put them on a lightly oiled baking tray and cover with a damp dishcloth. Leave to rest for 30 minutes. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, then cool on a wire rack.
Excerpted from A Greener Christmas
© Dorling Kindersley Limited 2008
A hearty addition to your Thanksgiving meal, this delicious, rustic nut bread will quickly become a family favorite.
This savory, honey-roast ham is perfect as an alternative to turkey on Thanksgiving day or served hot or cold to family and...
From sweets like cupcakes, candy and cookies to savory appetizers and dips, give your favorite fiends a real treat with these...(36 photos)