Style Your Home on a Budget
Use these 5 tips for creating high-priced ambiance with inexpensive elements.
Want an expensive look without the expense? Turn any room in your home into a sensibly chic space with these tips.
- Check out flea markets and garage sales for deals on mismatched chairs that vary in style, size and decorative elements. This approach is perfect when you want to achieve a relaxed, informal feel.
- Use your imagination when shopping for accessories. If the finish isn't right but the price is, think about how the piece can be manipulated-repainted or given a metal-leaf finish, for instance.
- If original artwork is a budget-buster, consider poster art. If you want an aged look that would be appropriate in an Old World or rustic setting, doctor the image to make it look authentic. Mount the poster onto canvas with spray adhesive and add dimension with a coat of modeling paste or acrylic varnish, following the manufacturer's instructions.
- Whether used for a chandelier, a display in an empty firebox, or for a tabletop arrangement, consider unmatched candle sets. Mismatched single candles are not only less expensive but more interesting in a grouping than too-similar candles.
- Slipcovers ready-made or custom-made offer unlimited decorating potential. You can change the look of any seating piece for the season or for a special event. It's also a great way to hide worn upholstery or protect an expensive piece. And you can embellish any slipcover with ties, trim or beads to dress it up.
How to Make a Clay Portrait Sculpture
Skip the kiln with this creative take on figurative sculpting.
How to Make a Faux Vintage Keepsake Book
Keep photos in a hardcover book embellished with decorative papers and copper mesh pockets.
How to Make Easy Paper Sunflowers
These natural-looking paper flowers lend a decorative accent to any casual decor.
How to Make a Miniature Beeswax Collage
Create a beeswax collage with paint, decorative papers and crayons.
How to Make a Craft Box Purse
Transform a craft box into a purse by embellishing it with paint, jewels, glitter and a beaded handle.
You Ask, Vern Answers
Celebrity designer Vern Yip answers your decorating questions.
Eco-Friendly Decorating Ideas
Smart, simple ways to make your decorating healthier for you and the environment.
Paint Color and Decorating Tips
Quick changes with paint make your home sparkle during the holidays and every day.
Mustache Drink Topper
These Mustache Drink Toppers set a playful mood for any party.
Courtesy of Etsy.com
The Many Uses of Vinegar
It cleans, it tenderizes, it fights odor — what can’t it do?
We're serving up the latest news, gorgeous style, crafty DIY projects, clever entertaining tips and more. Consider these your design digests.