Weekend Projects: Build a Radiator Cover
Tools and Materials:
circular saw and table saw
primer, paint and paintbrush
nail gun and nails
silver or gold metal screening
screw gun and screws
1. Take into account the architectural style of your home when choosing a design for your radiator cover. You may want it to blend into the decor of your home.
2. Mark the design for the radiator cover’s face onto the plywood. Use a circular saw and if necessary, a hand saw to cut the design.
3. Sand and rough edges after cutting.
4. Cut the radiator’s two sides and the top from the plywood. Cut a two-inch gap at the bottom of the sides so the heat from the radiator can escape.
5. Attach all the pieces with glue and a nail gun.
6. Add molding along the top edges using glue and the nail gun. We added a 2x1 piece of poplar around the top then added a piece of skinny molding on top of that for a layered look.
7. Prime and paint the cover and let dry completely.
8. Cut the metal screen to size using tin snips. Attach the screen to the backside of cut-out design with some screws.
9. Place the cover over your radiator.