Installing a New Range Hood
Here's how to give your kitchen a facelift by installing a new range hood.
Installing a new range hood is an inexpensive and practical way to update a kitchen. Here’s what you’ll need to do:
Materials and Tools:
screw gun and screws
eye goggles and dust mask
finish nail gun and nails
two wood blocks
square cut 1x2
island-style range hood
primer and paint
1. Remove existing cabinet and range hood. For our project we are also removing the soffit to open up the kitchen space. Demo the soffit with hammer and crowbar. Be sure to wear eye protection and dust mask since there may insulation in the ceiling.
2. Determine the placement of the new hood allowing for venting ducts and electrical requirements.
3. Additional ceiling framing may be necessary to support the weight of the new island-style hood. Follow the manufacturer’s instructions regarding framing specifications.
4. Follow manufacturer’s instructions to install and vent the new range hood.
5. Measure, cut and screw drywall into place to cover the hole where the soffit used to be. Cover seams with fiberglass tape then spread the mud over the tape. Let the mud dry then sand until smooth.
6. Prime and paint drywall
How to Vent a Clothes Dryer
For maximum efficiency, follow our checklist.
Kitchen and Bath Features Worth the Investment
Remodeling? Narrow the options with our list.
Add luxury to your kitchen with a warming drawer, wine fridge, steam oven or other dreamy extras
Outdoor Kitchen Appliances
Get tips on how to find the right oven, fridge and more for your outdoor kitchen.
The Benefits of Induction Cooktops
Safety and energy efficiency give these appliances an edge.
Home Theater Popcorn Machines
Get all the info you'll need on home theater popcorn machines, and get ready to create a truly cinema-like experience within your entertainment space.
Utilities in an Outdoor Kitchen
It pays to learn about electricity, plumbing and gas during the outdoor kitchen planning process.
Prevent Water Damage from Icemaker
A leak in your icemaker can cause big problems.
Tips to Replace Freezer Gasket
Here’s how to replace the freezer gasket by solving the problem of the freezer door popping open when the refrigerator door is shut.
Maintaining Your High-End Kitchen Gear
If you're making an investment in commercial-style kitchen equipment, you'd better know how to take care of it.
We're serving up the latest news, gorgeous style, crafty DIY projects, clever entertaining tips and more. Consider these your design digests.