Installing a New Range Hood
Installing a new range hood is an inexpensive and practical way to update a kitchen. Here’s what you’ll need to do:
Materials and Tools:
screw gun and screws
eye goggles and dust mask
finish nail gun and nails
two wood blocks
square cut 1x2
island-style range hood
primer and paint
1. Remove existing cabinet and range hood. For our project we are also removing the soffit to open up the kitchen space. Demo the soffit with hammer and crowbar. Be sure to wear eye protection and dust mask since there may insulation in the ceiling.
2. Determine the placement of the new hood allowing for venting ducts and electrical requirements.
3. Additional ceiling framing may be necessary to support the weight of the new island-style hood. Follow the manufacturer’s instructions regarding framing specifications.
4. Follow manufacturer’s instructions to install and vent the new range hood.
5. Measure, cut and screw drywall into place to cover the hole where the soffit used to be. Cover seams with fiberglass tape then spread the mud over the tape. Let the mud dry then sand until smooth.
6. Prime and paint drywall