How to Install a Level Countertop
Here's how to remove a slanted countertop, cut a replacement and install it so the counter is nice and level.
Installing a new countertop can be a challenge, and here's how you can do it successfully.
Materials and Tools:
block of wood
1. Remove any trim pieces along the wall that may interfere with removing the countertop. Use the pry bars to carefully remove the old countertop. Pry off the trim pieces along the underside on the countertop and save them for use with the new counter.
2. In this case, the countertop was attached to the ends of studs with nails. The nails did not have enough gripping power and the counter became tilted. For a more secure installation, install support blocks cut from a 2 x 4 between the studs.
3. Measure between the studs with a folding rule.
4. Cut the supports from a 2 x 4. Pre-drill holes at an angle in the ends of the support blocks and insert wood screws partially through the blocks.
5. Install the support blocks between studs. Check for level before driving the wood screws into the studs.
6. Clean up old counter and place face down on underside of replacement counter piece. Use the old counter as a template and trace a line on the new counter piece.
7. Put on safety glasses and cut new counter using the jigsaw. Use a hand plane to make sure the corners are smooth.
8. Install trim pieces from original counter on underside of replacement counter.
9. Install new counter and check for level.
10. Apply contact cement to edge of counter and to laminate strips cut to fit the edge of the counter. Press laminate onto sides of counter. Put on safety glasses and use a router to trim the laminate so it's even with the top of the counter.
11. Spread contact cement over top of counter and install your top laminate on the top. Use the router again to trim the edges.
Popular Kitchen Countertops
Whether the style of your kitchen is contemporary or traditional, innovations in kitchen countertop surfaces guarantee no two surfaces will be the same.
Kitchen Countertop Options
From stainless steel and copper to recycled glass, reclaimed wood, bamboo or concrete, your kitchen countertop options have never been so varied and diverse.
Best Kitchen Countertops
Whether you're looking for a middle-of-the-road update or a full-on upgrade, HGTV reveals the best kitchen countertop options.
Unique Kitchen Countertops
Make a statement in the kitchen with an unexpected kitchen countertop.
Make a Roll-Away Kitchen Island
Step by step, you can build a movable kitchen island.
Firing Up Your Bathroom
For the ultimate space heater, try adding a fireplace to your bathroom. New, prefab models make it easy and inexpensive.
Replacing Kitchen Cabinets
When refinishing and refacing don't make sense, consider replacing your kitchen cabinets.
How To: Creating A Holographic Checkerboard Backsplash
Create a checkerboard kitchen backsplash using stick-on holographic tiles. Mixing colors and designs gives your kitchen visual appeal.
How to Install Fluted Molding
Fluted molding is used to add elegance to a traditional-style master bedroom.
How to Make a Kitchen Island
Kitchen organization is made easy with this simple, inexpensive DIY project. HGTV Magazine shows you how to repurpose an old console table into a stylish kitchen island.
Sign up for the HGTV Kitchen & Bath Newsletter.
We're serving up the latest news, gorgeous style, crafty DIY projects, clever entertaining tips and more. Consider these your design digests.