Going Country in the Kitchen
Explore American, French and Tuscan versions of country style in the kitchen.
The look of country kitchens is here to stay. Casual comfort is the key element in various regional styles of country decorating, as well as simplified lines and a rustic feel.
- Cabinetry is rough hewn and flat paneled, typical of a time when detailed millwork was unavailable.
- Natural and light-toned woods, especially pine, are used. Finishes, which often are mixed in the same room, are low sheen or painted.
- Texture is used in fabric, furniture and accessories.
- Textiles are often floral or geometric.
- Furniture is comfortable and over-sized.
- Softened corners and gentle curves in molding, cabinetry and furniture are typical of this style.
- The more elegant French provincial lines are simplified.
- Wood finishes are light, with clear glaze and low luster. Painted finishes are mixed in.
The look is timeworn and rustic. Details of furniture and accessories are heavier and sturdier-looking than American or French country.
- Woods are dark and richly colored.
- Open shelving and niches give cabinetry an unstructured look.
- Range hoods are large and often the focal point of the room.
- Furniture is painted or distressed (or both).
- Natural materials are used for sink, splashes and counters.
- Chicken wire and metal are used for cabinetry panels.
A Pro's Own Bathroom with a View
Learn how Arizona-based interior designer Lori Carroll turned her own bathroom into a desert-inspired retreat.
Outdoor Spaces at HGTV Dream Home 2015
Designed to take advantage of the Martha's Vineyard location, this landscape is a mix of evergreens and flowering plants.
Beachy Cottage Makes a Comeback
The Hillmans transform a 1950s rancher into a permanent family oasis with coastal character.
Add Style to Your Finished Basement
Get tips for choosing the right finishing touches for your basement remodel.
Genevieve's Design Tips: Design a Hollywood Home
In episode one, the Design Stars made over their gorgeous Hollywood home. See what Genevieve says they did right, did wrong and how she could have done it better.
At First Blush: Falling in Love With Country Gardens
Country gardens have us at "hello," with their well-balanced foliage and flowers, winding paths past well-trimmed hedges and romantic nooks aplenty. Come get to know country garden style, and see if it suits you too.
Minimalism for Maximum Interest: Japanese-style Gardening
Japanese gardens rely on a pleasing and perfectly imperfect balance of just a few key elements. If you like your space uncluttered, Japanese style gardening may be the way to go for you.
French and Fantastic
Who says you need to live in France to have an ultimate French backyard?
Simple Style: The Subtle Appeal of Japanese Gardens
If you think less is more, a Japanese-style garden may be for you. Renowned for their calm and contemplative properties, Japanese gardens are actually a diverse lot unified by a couple of key characteristics.
Modern Bedroom Color Schemes
Choose a color scheme that will complement your favorite modern bedroom furnishings.
We're serving up the latest news, gorgeous style, crafty DIY projects, clever entertaining tips and more. Consider these your design digests.