Build a Hanging Pot Rack
A hanging pot rack adds storage space and looks great.
Materials and Tools:
2 overhead lights
16 feet of 1-1/4 inch square tube stock steel
8 feet of 1/2-inch inch pencil rod steel
3 feet of 3-inch U-channel steel
20 feet black chain
4 ceiling anchors
10 feet lamp cord
metal chop saw
welding helmet and gloves
1. Decide on a design and sketch it out, then transfer it to a full-scale drawing on a sheet of plywood.
2. Cut the metal to fit the design using a metal chop saw. Be sure to wear long sleeves and gloves, along with a face shield as sparks will fly.
3. Lay out the pieces for your frame and line everything up using the speed square. Once everything’s in place, put on the welding mask, gloves and protective clothing and start welding.
4. Tack the corners to get everything attached, then go back and lay the bead. If this is your first time welding, practice on scrap cut-offs to get the settings right. Welding is not rocket science, but it is an art that requires lots of practice and the knowledge to set up the equipment properly.
5. Once everything is welded, use the angle grinder to clean up all the welds. You want all the joints to be smooth and clean.
6. Drill through the perimeter frame in the locations where you want the lights. Run the post of the light through the hole, and put the lock nut on top. Run the wire through, and repeat for all lights.
7. Drill holes in the corners for the eye bolts. You can secure the eye bolts with bolts or by welding.
8. Wipe the rack clean using a metal cleanser. If desired, you can paint the rack using spray paint. Be sure to prime, then paint. Priming is important, since there's a lot of moisture in a kitchen and the steel will quickly rust if it’s not properly primed.
9. Insert ceiling anchors over the island to line up with the eye bolts on the rack. Hang the rack by attaching the chain to the ceiling hooks and the eye bolts. Check to make sure the rack is level.
10. Hook the wiring up to the ceiling, running the cable through a cable canopy. Once the electrical connections are made, cover the ceiling box with the canopy.
11. Once the rack is secured and level, add the hooks and start hanging pots.