Architectural Details Make the Difference
No matter what period your kitchen, architectural details can add authenticity and style.
Architect Keith Malcolm Brown is an expert for adding architectural details in the kitchen. The possibilities are endless, he says, whether the entire room is done with period details, or a few are chosen as focal points for a more traditional or eclectic room. Here, his tips:
1. The three most prominent ways of adding period detail in a kitchen are with the cabinets, molding and cornices. Beadboard wainscoting is a charming, inexpensive way to add architectural charm.
2. When adding details, first determine in what period the rest of the house is designed, and let that be a guide. For example, the Colonial period usually uses simple, narrow moldings, while Regency and Federal periods use wider, more elaborate moldings.
3. The challenge of designing a kitchen in a period style is combining the historical look with modern functionality. Often, modern appliances can be hidden behind cupboard doors to maintain an authentic period look.
4. New manufacturing techniques have made it easier and more cost effective to add architectural details, which can be either custom or mass produced. Fiberglass, plastic and urethane for moldings, cornices, decorate ceiling plates, etc., give a period look that will last and resist rot.
5. A tin ceiling can bring a touch of Victoria to any kitchen.
Keith Malcolm Brown
Designer, Period Architecture and Interiors
Modern Kitchen Accessories
Browse your options for modern kitchen accessories, and prepare to add an up-to-date collection of accessories to your kitchen design.
Create an Italian country-inspired space with these Tuscan kitchen design ideas.
Pair European designs with modern elements to produce an Old World kitchen style.
Frank Lloyd Wright's Organic Style
Almost 50 years after his death, architect Frank Lloyd Wright's organic style continues to influence designers.
Tips for Creating a Livable Yet Stylish Home from HGTV's Candice Olsen
Comfortable and chic don't have to live miles apart. Find simple tips for designing a home that's functional and beautiful.
Kitchen Table Centerpiece Design Ideas
So, you've got a party coming up this weekend and your kitchen table is looking bare? Let's find you a centerpiece that'll turn your table from every-day to divine.
10 Trendy Kitchen and Bathroom Upgrades
Check out these 10 kitchen and bath trends that are sure to get your creativity flowing.
Hawaiian Hotel Suite From Design Star Challenge 7
For the final challenge, the two remaining contestants, Kim Myles and Todd Davis, are given an outdated ocean-front hotel suite on Waikiki Beach to demonstrate why they should be HGTV's new Design Star.
Kitchen Heads Toward the New Millennium
The kitchens of the 1980s and 1990s were suddenly high on style, and it wasn't always good. But in the 21st century we're getting back to good design.
Old World-Style Bathroom
The elements of Old World style make even the most private of rooms feel comfortable.
Sign up for the HGTV Kitchen & Bath Newsletter.
We're serving up the latest news, gorgeous style, crafty DIY projects, clever entertaining tips and more. Consider these your design digests.