$100 Half-Day Designs: Wallpapered Backsplash
Freshen up the kitchen with a creative backsplash made from patterned wallpaper.
Materials and Tools:
1. Begin by clearing off all small appliances, removing electrical outlet plates and cleaning the wall to get rid of any grease or grime.
2. Measure out the backsplash. Be sure to over measure so that when the wallpaper is applied, the edges can be trimmed for a perfect fit.
3. Lay wallpaper design-side down on a flat surface and apply an even coat of wallpaper paste.
4. After the paste is on, bookend the wallpaper (fold it over back-to-back) and let it sit for five minutes. This allows the paste to get tacky so it'll stick to the wall easier.
5. Place the wallpaper on the wall, using a squeegee. Start from the center and pull outwards, so any excess glue can come out and there will be no lumps.
6. After the wallpaper is up, trim the excess for a perfect fit.
7. Finally, waterproof the wallpaper by applying a varnish to protect it from grease and grime.
10 Inexpensive Decorating Ideas
Make a difference in your design with money-saving tips and budget decorating ideas from Design on a Dime's Kelly Edwards.
Chic, Cheap Bathroom Makeover
From pretty paint to granite counters, we've got low-cost, high-impact decorating tips for the hardest working room in your home.
How to Build an Ironing-Board Cabinet
Follow these instructions for constructing a laundry-room space-saver.
Outdoor Fireplace Design Ideas
Learn about the different options for outdoor fireplace designs.
Designer Catherine Nakahara creates a clean, contemporary kitchen featuring bamboo cabinetry, quartz countertops and a subway tile backsplash.
Transforming a '50s Kitchen
Designer Karen Feldheim lets in more natural light and divides a long line of appliances to modernize a dated kitchen.
How to Build a Studio or Workroom
Put unused space to work with these step-by-step instructions.
Optimizing an Outdoor Kitchen Layout
Bring your indoor kitchen design outdoors, with these tips on creating a functional layout.
Small-Space Living Room Layouts
Use smart strategies to make your small living room feel larger.
How to Build an Office Workstation
Design and construct a custom work space with these step-by-step instructions.
We're serving up the latest news, gorgeous style, crafty DIY projects, clever entertaining tips and more. Consider these your design digests.