How to Build Child-Sized Table and Stools
Save money by building a child-sized table and matching stools yourself. Follow these step-by-step instructions.
Materials and Tools:
3/4" pine panels
1x3, 1x8 and 1x12 lumber
pocket screw jig
- Spread wood glue over the surface of one panel and place another one on top so the edges are lined up. Use clamps to hold them together to dry overnight. Remove the clamps.
- Use a circular saw to cut the tabletop to the desired length. Save the scrap piece for later.
- Cut 1x3s to length to create a frame for the tabletop. Use wood glue and clamps to secure the pieces in place. Let dry overnight and remove the clamps.
- Use a pocket screw jig to drill pilot holes from the tabletop into the 1x3s, creating a "pocket" for a screw. Use the tool again to drill two holes in the corners to secure the 1x3s to each other. Screw the pieces together to complete the top.
- Cut the scrap piece into two legs and two cross supports. Secure the cross supports to the bottom of the tabletop using wood glue and screws (drill four pilot holes first). Secure the legs to the cross supports in the same manner. Cut two feet from the remaining scrap piece and secure them to the bottom of the legs using wood glue and screws.
- If desired, add two shelves cut from a 1x12 between the legs and support it with two dividers. Cover the raw shelf edges with decorative trim.
- For the stools, cut a 1x12 for the top and 1x8s for the sides, bottom and apron. Secure all the pieces together using wood glue and screws. Add decorative trim as desired to finish it.
- Sand all the edges smooth, fill any holes with wood filler and paint or stain as desired.
Check out these tips for keeping your furniture environmentally-friendly by recycling, reclaiming and refinishing.
How to Build a Child's Wooden Rocking Horse
Add to your old-fashioned Christmas with this wooden rocking horse. Follow these step-by-step instructions.
Bamboo Reed Room Dividers
Bamboo reeds are encased in epoxy to make a unique room divider.
How to Build Beach-Inspired Bamboo Wall Shelves
Carter Oosterhouse combines wavy-patterned acrylic panels with earth-friendly bamboo to create an exotic display shelf.
How to Shop for a Dresser
7 tips for getting the highest quality for your money, no matter your budget.
Turning a Footstool into a Pet Bed
Upholstered footstools are easily transformed into cushy pet beds.
Give Old Furnishings a New Purpose
With a bit of imagination, furniture and found objects can do double-duty in your home.
Ode to the Adirondack Chair
Summer's favorite recliner has a great past and bright future.
How to Build a Dog Crate Cover/Bench Seat
Provide extra seating while concealing your pet's crate.
Make an Easy Kids' Coat Rack
This simple-to-build, kid-sized coat rack will provide the perfect place for little hats and coats to hang.
Sign up for the HGTV Inspiration Newsletter.
We're serving up the latest news, gorgeous style, crafty DIY projects, clever entertaining tips and more. Consider these your design digests.