Stylish Headboard Update: Add Upholstered Panels
Materials and Tools:
1/2 sheet of 1/2-inch medium-density fiberboard (MDF)
4 yards of upholstery fabric
black-gloss spray paint
contact paper, brown kraft paper or newsprint
1. Sand headboard to remove any glossy finishes then spray with high-gloss black spray paint and allow to dry.
2. Create a template to transfer the shape of the panels onto the MDF by covering each recessed panel with brown kraft paper, newsprint or contact paper (to prevent shifting). Trace around the molded edges and cut out pattern.
3. Place template onto MDF and trace pattern. Cut out MDF panels with a jigsaw and sand any rough edges. Lay template on batting and upholstery fabric and roughly trace pattern, leaving a 4-inch allowance on all sides.
4. Cover the front side of the MDF panel with spray glue then wrap with batting, securing the batting on the back with staples. Follow the same process for attaching a layer of upholstery fabric. Cut away any excess fabric that would make attaching the panels to the headboard difficult.
5. Mount the fabric-wrapped boards to the headboard with screws inserted through the back side.