Master Bedroom Window Seat
Make it yourself with these step-by-step instructions.
Build the best seat in the house with this project.
Materials and Tools:
three 10-foot-long 1-by-6-inch boards
1 sheet ¼-inch birch plywood
1 sheet ¾-inch birch plywood
1 gallon white primer
1 gallon white enamel latex paint
1 roll birch edge banding
2 piano hinges
air compressor with hoses
cordless drill with battery and magnetic screw tip
electric miter saw
pneumatic nail gun
1. Measure the usable space and decide on a design.
2. To add a bit of detail, make a frame of 1-by-4’s (top and bottom rail and three or four verticals for structure) cut to size with the miter saw. Cut a piece of ¼-inch plywood to size with the table saw and attach it to the back of the frame with the pneumatic nail gun.
3. Cut a notch at each end of the panel you just built to match the profile of the baseboard molding in the room. Use the profile gauge to get the proper shape. Notching the window seat instead of removing the baseboard will leave the house intact if you should ever want to remove the seat.
4. Install the front panel by attaching two cleats made from 1-by-4 to the side walls. Measure 18 inches out from the wall and attach the cleat. Nail the front panel to these cleats.
5. The top of the bench will be made from ¾-inch birch plywood. Cut the plywood to 19½ inches with the table saw. Cut two openings in the plywood with a jigsaw to serve as doors to the storage compartment.
6. Screw piano hinges to the seat frame and the storage-compartment doors.
7. Melt the edge banding onto the front edge of the seat with a regular clothes iron.
8. Install a 1-by-2 cleat to the back wall, at the same level as the top of the front panel. Once the cleat is screwed to the wall, nail the top seat to the cleat and then to the front panel.
9. Fill any nail holes with filler, and caulk the corners with painter’s caulk.