How to Build a Day Bed
Step-by-step instructions for a couch/bed that will come in handy when guests are in town
If you don’t have the space for another guest bed, add a day bed. Here’s how to make one:
Materials and Tools:
MDF (medium-density fiberboard)
4 bun feet
4 metal brackets
paint or batting and fabric
1. To build the outer frame, cut two side rails (10 by 76 inches) and two end rails (10 by 37 inches). Cut two larger pieces of MDF to fit inside the frame to create the platform that the mattress will rest on.
2. Cut 1-by-1-inch cleats to support the platform and install them 1½ inches down from the top along the side and end rails. Leave a gap along the side rails that’s about 24 inches from each end to allow two cross pieces to be installed to support the center of the platform boards.
3. To hold the cross supports, attach more 1-by-1 cleats 1½ inches up from the bottom around the perimeter. Cut the two cross supports.
4. Flip the day bed over and attach a metal bracket to each corner on the outer edge of the frame. Screw the feet into position. Turn the day bed back over. Slide the cross supports into position and slide the platform pieces into position to check the fit.
5. Paint or upholster the day-bed frame (staple batting over the frame, and then cover it with fabric) as desired.
Check out these tips for keeping your furniture environmentally-friendly by recycling, reclaiming and refinishing.
How to Shop for a Dresser
7 tips for getting the highest quality for your money, no matter your budget.
How to Make a Handpainted Funky Wood Chair
Paint a design on an old chair and attach a fun fabric with this project.
Furniture Makeover: TV Armoire Turned Craft Cabinet
Shelves and cushioned display boards are added to the inside of an old armoire -- found at a flea market for $75 — to make it more functional.
Make a Reverse-Painted Tabletop
This decorative tabletop/wine bar calls for both technique and imagination. Learn how to make a tabletop with the reverse-painting technique.
How to Make a Dog Ottoman and Slipcover
Give your favorite pooch a place to relax and join the family by building him a simple ottoman.
Outdoor Furniture Options and Ideas
Discover new options and ideas in furniture for your outdoor space.
How-To: Patterned Decal Dresser
Follow these steps from HGTV Magazine to update your plain dresser with decals, and best yet, it only takes a few hours!
Yard Sale Furniture Repurposed: Dresser
HGTV Magazine gives tips for jazzing up an old, worn-out dresser.
How to Build an Art Table
Create your own workstation complete with storage drawers for a place to express your artistic side.
We're serving up the latest news, gorgeous style, crafty DIY projects, clever entertaining tips and more. Consider these your design digests.