Creating Zones in the Bedroom
8 tips for defining functional areas by design
Large bedrooms are a wonderful luxury, but separating different functional areas can present a design challenge. Here are some tips for carving out those spaces:
1. Architectural changes—half-walls, columns, niches, bump-outs and alcoves—can create intimate seating areas.
2. A pocket door makes an excellent divider that also presents a sense of entry into a room. It provides privacy when necessary and is hidden when not in use.
3. Curtains hung as a divider can partition a room without any architectural changes.
4. Area rugs can provide contrasting texture and color that help define a space.
5. A change of flooring is one of the best ways to indicate changes of function.
6. The way furniture is positioned can help define a space. For instance, the direction a couch opens draws that space into the couch’s orbit.
7. A seating area can be made more defined and comfortable with a soft rug underfoot.
8. Painting different spaces different colors can gently define zones of the bedroom.