A Luxurious Bedroom for Less
8 tips for making the most of your budget
If you dream of a space that's dressed to the nines but you need to decorate on a dime, follow these guidelines for high bedroom style on a budget.
1. When in doubt about color, choose taupe. The deeper the shade, the more drama it denotes.
2. Blend textures and tones, spending more on the most important element and less on the accent pieces. In the budget-friendly room pictured, a gold dupioni silk bedspread is complemented by less expensive pillows with interesting textures and embellishments.
3. Shop in your house before you go shopping. The nicest accessories are those with personal meaning. Find new uses for old things: Remove cups or bowls from the china cabinet and display them on shelves, or fill a glass vase with colored marbles from your childhood.
4. Fresh bamboo stalks are wonderfully compatible with Asian designs. Buy the tropical woody stems from a local florist and place them in water as you would cut flowers, and they'll continue to grow. They're low-maintenance and introduce soft organic lines to a room.
5. Metal accents don't have to match. It's fine to mix metals as long as they look organic and earthy and aren't overly polished.
6. When shopping for bed linens, keep your lifestyle in mind. Dry-clean-only fabrics may be impractical in a home with active kids, frequent guests and roaming pets. Instead, look for multiweave, washable fabrics that require less care.
7. To add bulk to a bed-for a more luxurious, hotel-like look-buy one comforter for sleeping and a separate decorative cover for the foot of the bed. Fold the decorative cover in half or thirds to add height, color and texture.
8. Though they're small details, hardware for doors and case goods can make a big difference in conveying a style; think of it as jewelry for your cabinets and furnishings. Look to home-improvement centers for a wide variety of styles that will suit your decor.
Paint Color and Decorating Tips
Quick changes with paint make your home sparkle during the holidays and every day.
How to Plant Bromeliads
Learn about this low-maintenance family of plants known for its clustered leaves and showy, long-lasting flowers.
How to Build a Studio or Workroom
Put unused space to work with these step-by-step instructions.
Multipurpose Message Center
Keep yourself (and your roommates) organized with a stylish and multi-functional bulletin board and message center.
Outdoor Furniture Options and Ideas
Discover new options and ideas in furniture for your outdoor space.
Custom Kitchen Islands
Make your kitchen space stand out with these unique custom kitchen island tips.
Paint Glossary: All About Paint, Color and Tools
Learn what type of paint to use, which tools will work best and the basics for picking color schemes.
HGTV Dream Home 2012: Make a Planter Box
Create stylish planters, complete with bolt head trim, to flank and define your front door.
Simple Kitchen Decor
Add charm to the kitchen with new or flea-market fabrics.
Give a new purpose to your old favorites hanging in the closet.
We're serving up the latest news, gorgeous style, crafty DIY projects, clever entertaining tips and more. Consider these your design digests.