New designs and materials are making shower areas the star of the bath.
One of the hot trends in modern baths is to eliminate the tub, using only the shower to accommodate a less leisurely lifestyle. And speaking of hot trends, another is to make them large enough to bring a guest with you — he or she can even have a separate showerhead. Here are other ideas for designing a hot shower:
- Eliminate the shower door by having a wet space large enough to contain the water.
- If you have a large shower, allow lots of natural light in.
- Glass is the hottest material in baths today.
- The most common material for the shower surround is tile, which is also the most economical, but other options include natural stone, manufactured stone, glass block, glass tile, and acrylic.
- Traditional spaces use tile and ornamental borders but keep to a neutral, monochromatic color scheme. Contemporary baths use stone or an artful combination of stone and tile, especially mosaic tiles.
- Shower doors made of glass can be framed or seamless. The popular seamless doors require thicker glass and have a higher price tag.
- Preformed acrylic tubs are high performance, low maintenance and low cost.