New designs and materials are making shower areas the star of the bath.
One of the hot trends in modern baths is to eliminate the tub, using only the shower to accommodate a less leisurely lifestyle. And speaking of hot trends, another is to make them large enough to bring a guest with you — he or she can even have a separate showerhead. Here are other ideas for designing a hot shower:
- Eliminate the shower door by having a wet space large enough to contain the water.
- If you have a large shower, allow lots of natural light in.
- Glass is the hottest material in baths today.
- The most common material for the shower surround is tile, which is also the most economical, but other options include natural stone, manufactured stone, glass block, glass tile, and acrylic.
- Traditional spaces use tile and ornamental borders but keep to a neutral, monochromatic color scheme. Contemporary baths use stone or an artful combination of stone and tile, especially mosaic tiles.
- Shower doors made of glass can be framed or seamless. The popular seamless doors require thicker glass and have a higher price tag.
- Preformed acrylic tubs are high performance, low maintenance and low cost.
The shower pan helps protect the tile floor of a shower. Here's how to take care of it.
Could your bathroom shower use a little updating? Check out the newest trends.
Showered in Luxury
Whether you're remodeling or upgrading, get the latest tips on shower enclosures and showerheads -- plus what tile works best on bathroom floors.
Turn Your Shower into a Spa Retreat
There's more to creating a perfect shower than just choosing the curtain. Innovative new products can turn your shower into water wonderland.
Large and Luxurious Walk-In Showers
Move over, jetted soaking tubs. Power showers top homeowners' wish lists.
Make the Most of Your Shower Space
Take advantage of extra shower space and storage when planning your bathroom remodel.
Universal Design Showers: Safety and Luxury
Universal design makes bathrooms work for everyone, regardless of age, size and ability, ensuring that your shower will serve you well for years to come.
Designing a Custom Shower
With proper planning and plumbing, you can design the shower of your dreams.
Carve out a more relaxing, water-efficient space with a prefabricated unit or a custom stall.
Organizing Your Shower
Think your bathroom is neat and orderly? Well, don't forget about the shower. Here's how to organize this often-neglected area.
Photo Friday: Cooking and Dining in the Great Outdoors
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 28, 2015 by Beth Rucker
This or That: Pick Your Favorite Vintage Find From Fixer Upper
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 27, 2015 by Farima Alavi
6 Essentials for the Perfect Tailgate Party + Win the 1 Thing You Really Need
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 25, 2015 by Farima Alavi
Discover the Winning Hue in Our Color Vs. Color Competition!
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 24, 2015 by Kayla Kitts
Copy This Room: Get Beach Flip Style in Your Living Room
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 24, 2015 by Shannon Petrie
4 Ways to Personalize Your Dorm Desk + College Goodie Giveaway!
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 21, 2015 by Farima Alavi
The Easiest (and Cutest!) DIY Dorm Roommate Mugs Ever
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 20, 2015 by Marianne Canada