A Well-Appointed Cabinet
There are many ways to fit the classic medicine cabinet into a modern bathroom.
Medicine cabinets have evolved from a mirror on a box into a significant design feature in the bath that can be framed elaborately or be grouped with other elements for a wall of storage. They’re available in a huge variety of sizes and shapes, so the design options are considerable. Here are some basics to help in your decision-making.
- There are two types of medicine cabinets: recessed and surface-mount. Surface-mount cabinets jut into the room. Recessed cabinets, which require more planning to avoid outside walls or walls with plumbing, have a built-in look.
- Surface-mount cabinets have a bigger presence in a room than recessed cabinets.
- The most popular style of medicine cabinets is a framed, recessed cabinet with a classic look.
- Medicine-cabinet mirrors can be framed in a variety of materials, including aluminum, stainless steel, wood, plastic, and even mirror edging.
- Features include adjustable shelves, aluminum interiors that won’t rust, push buttons for opening the mirror and avoiding fingerprints, integrated magnifying mirror, mirrors on the inside, and electrical outlets on the inside or the outside.
- Frameless medicine cabinets are a popular look for contemporary baths.
- A single medicine cabinet’s width should be equal to or less than that of the sink or vanity over which it sits. It should be centered over the vanity or sink. Keep it at eye level and arm’s length when standing in front of the sink.
- An alternative to installing the medicine cabinet above the sink is to install it next to the sink, with a mirror over the sink.
Kitchen Island Countertop Considerations
Perhaps the most important aspect of choosing a kitchen island is the countertop. Decide what material and shape will work best for your area.
Kitchen Island Carts
Mobility is just one factor that makes a kitchen island cart a flexible option for your space.
Stationary Kitchen Islands
If you are running out of room for storage or food preparation, then a stationary kitchen island might be the ideal solution for you.
Large Kitchen Islands
When space is not an issue, then a large kitchen island might be ideal for additional storage and food preparation space.
Kitchen Islands Offer Variety, Service
Easy to incorporate into any style of kitchen, the possibilities for island design are endless.
Vintage Kitchen Islands
Vintage kitchen islands come in a range of decorative options, including inventive do-it-yourself designs.
Kitchen Island Cabinets
Add the finishing touches to your storage space with these tips for choosing kitchen island cabinets.
Outdoor Kitchen Island Options and Ideas
Take the dining room outdoors with these ideas for designing an outdoor kitchen island.
Kitchen Countertop Options
From stainless steel and copper to recycled glass, reclaimed wood, bamboo or concrete, your kitchen countertop options have never been so varied and diverse.
Unique Kitchen Countertops
Make a statement in the kitchen with an unexpected kitchen countertop.
Sign up for the HGTV Kitchen & Bath Newsletter.
We're serving up the latest news, gorgeous style, crafty DIY projects, clever entertaining tips and more. Consider these your design digests.