$100 Half-Day Designs: Simple Contemporary Bathroom Updates
A twist on classic stenciling and new accessories transforms a boring bathroom into a contemporary retreat.
roll of paper
anchors (if needed)
1. Begin by taking down any outdated mirrors, toilet paper holders and towel bars. Fill in any holes with spackle. Tape off the floor, ceiling and side walls with painter's tape.
2. Use the roller to paint the wall on which you will do the stenciling. If you use a darker color, it will probably require two coats.
3. While the paint is drying, create your desired stencil. For this project, they designed a mod circular print, drew it onto a piece of paper with a marker and then cut out the negative space with the utility knife.
4. Place the stencil over contact paper, outlining the holes with marker and then cutting them out with the knife. Use a piece of contact paper long enough to cover the entire section of wall you intend to adorn so you don’t have to match it up later.
5. Peel the back off the contact paper and attach it to the wall, starting at the top. Work your way down slowly to get all the bubbles out so the paint won’t run under the contact paper.
6. Once it is secured, begin painting at the outside of the shapes and work your way in to ensure you have a clean line when you take the stencil away.
7. After all the paint has dried peel the contact paper away slowly. If any touch-ups are needed, use a fine-tipped brush to complete them.
8. Install new accessories, including towel bar and ring, mirror, bath mat, towels and shower curtain. A drill, screws and maybe some anchors should be all you need to complete this.
Plastic and Paint Makeovers
Add color to your outdoor space by transforming ordinary plastic furniture and pots. Here's how.
Walls That Shine
A color-on-color effect can be created in various ways, each producing a different look. These techniques require two wall paints -- satin and semi-gloss finishes -- in the same color.
Choosing Wall Colors and Wall Paint Tips
Find tips for choosing the right wall colors and wall paint from the experts at HGTV.com.
Kids' Photo Wall Mural
Turn a cherished photograph into a uniquely personal wall mural fit for a kids' space.
Painting 101: Oil or Latex?
Learn the advantages and disadvantages of using oil-based and latex paint.
Painting a Two-Tone Kitchen
Get ideas for painting a two-tone kitchen.
Faux Painting Techniques for the Kitchen
Discover faux painting techniques for the kitchen.
Painting Your Kitchen for Resale
Repainting your kitchen can be an effective way to spruce it up for homebuyers. Make sure to use a subtle color palette that is appealing to a wide range of possible buyers.
How to Stain a Wooden Deck
Enrich a wooden deck in just a few simple steps using deck stain.
How to Paint Cabinets
Use these easy steps to update a kitchen by painting the cabinets.
We're serving up the latest news, gorgeous style, crafty DIY projects, clever entertaining tips and more. Consider these your design digests.