Scheduling Your Relocation
If you can postpone your move, you could save some major cash.
Most people choose to move in the summer months when the kids are out of school. The least expensive time of year to move is between October and April, so if it's possible to postpone your move, you could save some money.
You may also get better service during the off-months. Moving companies often hire part-time or seasonal employees to cover the extra demand. That means you may get less experienced workers during the peak season.
If it's imperative that you move during the summer, the day of the week and time of the month can also affect moving fees. Movers are often maxed out on summer weekends and at the beginning and end of the month when leases usually expire. Tuesdays and Wednesdays during the middle of the month are your best bet for rested workers and lower prices.
Top 10 Ways to Cut Moving Costs
- Downsize before you move
- Schedule your relocation in the off-season
- Get at least three in-home estimates
- Don't get scammed by a rogue mover
- Get budget packing supplies
- Ask questions to unearth hidden costs
- Get portable storage and delivery
- Rent a truck for a totally DIY move
- Get moving insurance
- Deduct moving expenses from your taxes