Real Estate Survival Guide: Buyer's Checklist
Refer to this 10-step checklist to get you through the homebuying process.
1. Figure out how much house you can afford.
- Calculate your monthly income and debt.
- Check your credit report and FICO score.
- Use FrontDoor's mortgage calculator.
- Figure out your down payment.
2. Get pre-approved for a mortgage.
- Choose a type of mortgage.
- Speak to at least five lenders and mortgage brokers.
- Shop for the best interest rates and programs.
3. Determine what you want and need in a home.
- Choose a location (downtown, urban, suburban, rural).
- Choose a type (single family, townhouse, condo, loft).
- Choose a price range.
- Choose a size.
- Choose an architectural style.
4. Research your target neighborhoods.
- Look online for information on schools, crime rate, traffic and zoning.
- Determine your work commute.
- Scout local amenities, such as parks, shops and restaurants.
5. Work with a buyer's agent who knows the neighborhood.
- Get referrals.
- Consider working with an exclusive buyer's agent.
- Interview at least three agents.
- Look for experience and good chemistry.
6. Search for homes in the MLS and For Sale By Owner (FSBO).
- Browse listings online, including FrontDoor.com.
- Ask your agent to set up tours of homes that fit your criteria.
- Check local newspapers.
- Pick up flyers and attend open houses.
7. Research each home you want to buy.
- Ask your agent for comps to estimate the property's fair market value.
- Ask the seller's reason for selling.
- Review all property disclosures.
- Find out about liens, easements or other restrictions.
8. Make an offer and negotiate.
- Determine the purchase price.
- Include contingencies, such as financial, inspection or purchase.
- Spell out any special requests and repairs you want included in the sale.
- Determine an earnest money amount.
- Define a move-in date.
- Once both parties agree to the terms, sign the Purchase and Sale Agreement.
9. Finalize the deal.
- Get the house appraised.
- Get a professional home inspection.
- Consider getting specific inspections for structural engineering, roof and termites.
- Use the appraisal and inspection reports to re-negotiate if necessary.
- Choose a home insurance company.
- Complete the loan process with the lender.
- Do a walk-through inspection prior to closing.
- Set aside cash for the closing costs and down payment.
10. Close the purchase.
- Review the settlement document at least 2 days before closing to see how funds will be collected and distributed.
- Get a cashier's check for the amount you need to bring to closing, including the down payment and closing costs.
Refer to this 10-step checklist to get you through the home-selling process.
Master these dos and don'ts of house hunting.
Arm yourself with these expert tips and advice when braving the Sunday open house. Learn more on HGTV.com.
How to choose sheets that are soft, comfortable and long-lasting.
Use this week-by-week checklist to plan your move to a new home.
Think about the size of your bathroom and the style of spray you want when picking a fixture
The floor lays the groundwork for style and function in your kitchen. Think about your lifestyle and cost when choosing the right surface for you.
Consider space, features and budget when shopping for a fridge for your kitchen renovation.
Before shopping for a refrigerator or range, have a design plan and budget for your remodel
Five steps to owning a newly-built home.