Five Ways To Make Friends in a New Neighborhood
Here's how to meet a few good candidates for your social circle.
- If you belong to a church, club, or professional organization, find a local chapter. You'll stay in your comfort zone and meet people who share the same interests.
- If you're a sports fan, join a rec team -- or at least watch the game at a nearby sports bar instead of your couch.
- Check the local paper for community events or festivals. These events are usually sponsored by area businesses and attended by fun-loving locals. It's win-win.
- Go to work. You spend eight hours a day with your co-workers, so it's a natural place to form friendships. Ask them to offer restaurant recommendations; once you've broken the ice, you can always invite them to dinner at their favorite Mexican joint.
- Go online. If you haven't found enough opportunities to meet people around town, create a profile at a networking site like Facebook where you can search for people with similar interests. Who knows? You may even find that an old friend is living right down the road.